My Blog

Biscuits 101

One of my favorite things about inn sitting, besides meeting the guests, is cooking!
I love to learn new dishes or baking recipes to add to my traveling cookbook.
I feel very fortunate to live in Atlanta where there are so many opportunities to pursue my culinary endeavors. As a volunteer with Cooks Warehouse, I get plenty of exposure to new cooking ideas and improving my craft. Some classes, like this biscuit 101, offer a focused concentration on one particular item.
As a Southern lady, I feel it is my duty to learn how to make a proper Southern biscuit. Now, I have baked many a biscuit before but I have to say they were not worthy of too many bragging rights. How wonderful it is to discover what you have been doing wrong all these years! One of the most important facts I uncovered was about flour. In order to make a true, good, soft, Southern biscuit you need a low protein flour. Thank goodness we have some to choose from in Atlanta. Select Martha White or White Lily with only about 2% protein.
The only down side to this for me is that now I will have to fill my suitcase with flour if I am inn sitting past the Mason Dixon line.
I worked in Seattle last week  and offered to make one of my Texas guest a batch of cream biscuits for breakfast one morning. I went to 3 different stores in search of my precious white, light, magic dust. No luck!
She forgave me and understood my dilemma...she said her granny only used White Lily too.
This lovely batch of cream style biscuits that I am holding are soooo easy.

Just 2 cups self-rising flour and 1 cup whipping cream. Bake 450*

Of course there are a few more secrets, but you will just have to show up at my next inn assignment and I will bring you back in the kitchen to show you!

7 Comments to Biscuits 101:

Comments RSS
profil on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 3:05 PM
further progress equip let by themselves in most categories of games to be able to stimulate a good son's or daughter's mind in so that they can have the capacity to fulfill the family unit for most years
Reply to comment

retert on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 7:43 AM
dfhrttert
Reply to comment

australian writingservice on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 7:47 AM
Biscuits they are plausible and checked out discover what you have been doing wrong all these years for the impressive objectives. This neighborhoodhospitality blog always sharing about goodness we have some to choose from in atlanta.
Reply to comment

6999696 on Monday, December 17, 2018 2:32 AM
Reply to comment

best writing service review on Friday, December 21, 2018 2:35 AM
Living in a rover van is indeed fun and wonderful. Living in a rover van and travelling with it as well is one of my dreams in life. To explore the country with your family, even just by yourself sounds like a lot of fun. I have always had fun watching movies about families having an amazing journey in their rover van. This makes me want to buy myself a rover van someday. I hope this dream of mine to roam the country will happen soon.
Reply to comment

uk essays on Saturday, January 12, 2019 7:23 AM
So, you will teach me how to make biscuits? I appreciate your help.
Reply to comment

repliche hublot orologi on Monday, April 01, 2019 7:20 PM
Hotel offers Homely stay in jaipur hotels.
Reply to comment